What's new in Nearby Explorer™ for iOS¶
American Printing House for the Blind, Inc.
Version 1.04.00, February 2017¶
- Adds Google as an address provider.
- Adds a search box to the Favorites view.
- Adds the Change Address item to the context menu for a favorite.
- Adds a switch to settings for including numbers in the directions list.
- Condenses the information at the top of the directions list into one cell to make navigation much quicker.
- The radius set on the Home screen is now respected when using the onboard maps as the Search Provider. The maximum radius permitted for the onboard Search Provider is 0.5 miles, however.
- Uses more common names for streets. This effects the street name in the Home screen, approaching streets, and street names given in Guidance and Directions.
- Adds an item to the Street Name context menu to enable reporting of alternate street names.
- The names of the currently active Address and Search providers are now shown in Settings.
- When selecting Virtual Go To, the Virtual Navigation pad is automatically opened.
- Fixes a bug where some intersections were missing when using the Approaching item or the Streets view.
- Corrects a problem where portions of Portland, Oregon were reported as Lake Jeanclia.
Version 1.03.00, December 2016¶
- Adds the Shake To Repeat feature. Shake the phone when at the Home screen, even when locked, to repeat the last nearby information. This feature may be turned off in Settings.
- Adds the Transit Feed Manager to settings to allow one to delete unwanted transit feeds, and to disable automatic transit feed updating at startup.
- Adds the Frequent Updates option to the context menu for Approaching Streets. When Frequent Updates are turned off, at most two announcements are given; one after passing through the previous intersection, and another when very close to the next intersection.
- Reduces the number of Guidance messages given when driving.
- Clears the search results in the Search View when typing in the search field.
- Adds the route type, Driving or Pedestrian, to the top of the Directions view.
- Places the Streets, Search, Favorites, and Transit buttons under the navigation pad when using Virtual Navigation.
- When saving a favorite on an unknown street, the favorite no longer contains the address, "0 Unknown."
- When on an unknown street, the street number is now blank instead of 0.
- Fixes the occasional running together of messages spoken by self voicing.
- When in Canada, we now use "Province" as the title for the "State" field.
- Fixes a rare crash that could happen when traveling in an area where search results have been saved as favorites.
Version 1.02.00, November 2016¶
- Adds support for contacts. Accessed from the Favorites view, the Contacts view presents contacts which have addresses in a list and offers a context menu for performing useful operations on them.
- Adds the ability to hide unwanted Home screen items. Choose Hide from the context menu for any item. To switch back to viewing all items, choose the Show All toolbar item.
- Adds the ability to share a favorite on Google Places. Search results from Google Places which are private to Nearby Explorer can also be deleted from Google Places.
- Adds an option to Route Settings to include alternate street names for streets announced in Guidance and shown in the directions list. This option is on by default.
- Adds the Add button to the Favorites view to create a new favorite at the current position.
- Adds the Move To Here option to the context menu of the Favorites view to move the selected favorite to the current location.
- Adds a number before each instruction in the directions list.
- Adds the Copy button to the directions list to copy the directions to the clipboard. The directions may then be pasted in the app of your choice for texting, mailing, etc.
- Adds the ability to call the phone number or visit the website of a search result or favorite.
- Permits entering the entire state name as well as just the state abbreviation when searching for cities.
- When changing the radius from the Search View toolbar, the new radius is now spoken.
- Pedestrian mode is now the default for guidance to a destination.
- Changes the reporting of distances using feet to have a resolution of 20 feet instead of 60 feet, making these announcements more accurate.
- Fixes a bug where the Transit Routes view did not update when switching days if there were no routes for the current day.
- Fixes a bug where the same street names were sometimes repeated when using Compass mode.
- Disables the Follow Roads switch on the Virtual Navigation pad when the address provider is not set to Onboard.
- The setting, "Allow Geobeam and Compass when app is in the background" now defaults to on.
Version 1.01.00, September 2016¶
- When getting guidance to a location, rerouting now works if you go off-route when using Apple as the address provider.
- Approaching intersections are now reported more promptly when using Apple as the address provider.
- Changes approaching intersection handling to address skipping to the next intersection before crossing the current one, and to report the next intersection with more precision.
- Improves the situation where some intersections are not shown when using the Approaching item or the Streets view. We acknowledge that there is more work to be done in this area.
- Changes the way nearby transit stops are reported. Now, the direction of the vehicle is given first, followed by the time and route name information.
- Changes the following context menu items for search results, favorites, and transit stops:
- Get Directions becomes List Directions
- Set As Destination becomes Turn-By-Turn Guidance
- Go To becomes Virtual Go To
- Changes some default settings as follows:
- The Country item is off
- The Nearby Position item is off
- The number of nearby places to announce for one location is now 1 instead of 4
- The search radius is now 500 yards
- Adds the Clear Text button to all edit fields.
- Fixes a bug where the nearby place could be repeated indefinitely.
- Fixes a bug where distant favorites were not announced when using the onboard search provider.
- Fixes various crashes related to using certain features before the onboard maps are downloaded.
- Changing the search radius from the toolbar now kills speech.
- The "Show More Stops" button in the Transit view was renamed to "More Stops."
- Fixes a bug where the Transit view was always empty on the very first use.
- Hides the keyboard in the Search view when the context menu is opened.
Version 1.00.00, August 2016¶