American Printing House for the Blind, Inc.
This list of changes outlines what is new about the operating procedures for Icon and Braille+. For details on how to use a feature listed, follow the link associated with that feature.
Version 2.2, September 2010
Version 2.1, October 2009
- Improves braille display support while reading documents by hiding the cursor and moving the document's cursor to the beginning of the displayed line. This change makes it more intuitive to move the cursor without using the display's cursor routing keys. (In previous versions, the user could get confused after advancing through a document with the display panning keys then using a document navigation command. The cursor could be far from the reading position.) Now, the cursor is always at the display.
- Automatically turns off grade II input when inserted into the docking station and returns the input setting back to the original setting when undocked.
- Adds an option to present Answers as a fraction.
- Adds a key, Ctrl+/ or hold OK, to toggle the current answer from a fraction to a decimal or from a decimal to a fraction.
- Increases the speed of the RSS reader.
- Adds Recent Articles and Recent Podcasts to RSS's main menu. These two options show a single list of articles or podcasts from all feeds with the most recently aquired items at the top of the list.
- Increases the speed of synchronization with Microsoft Exchange.
- Adds settings to limit what Calendar imports from Exchange.
- Adds import and export for iCal (ics) calendar files.
- Shares the public and library/books/import folders automatically when the user turns on file sharing.
- Provides each unit with a default unique network name consisting of the name of the product and the last three digits of the serial number. This name may be changed to the user's preference.
- Improves Network Manager performance. Now, if the unit cannot connect to a wireless access point, it turns off the WiFi radio.
- Adds a third outgoing protocol to email, SMTP with SSL.
- Corrects a problem that prevented effective use of file sharing when browsing PCs from the unit itself.
- Corrects a problem that prevented the user from playing audio content stored on the network.
- Adds additional information to the Version Number item in the Status menu.
- Corrects a problem that caused the "Keep Messages on Server" setting from working properly when using Email with a gmail account.
- Corrects a problem that could cause the recorder to crash.
- Corrects a problem that prevented books you downloaded from bookshare on your PC from unpacking properly when you placed them into the import folder.
- Separates the Internet Tuner functionality from Music Player into its own program and improves performance.
- Adds the ability to add custom presets to Tuner.
- Adds Previous and Next Track commands (Pound+Left or Right Arrow) for those play lists that contain multiple tracks.
- Selecting a .pls or .m3u playlist from File Explorer or Web Browser now opens Tuner with that playlist.
Version 2.0.41, June 2009
- Adds support for the following additional refreshable braille displays:
- Alva Braille Controller 640/680
- HIMS Braille Sense and Syncbraille .
- MDV MB208/MB408L/MB408S (protocol 5)
- Pegasus 20/27/40/80
- Improves detection of Bluetooth braille displays going out of and coming back in range and automatically turns speech back on when out of range.
- Improves chord command support for some braille displays.
- Enhances zip file support
- Lets the user open an existing archive if it has already been extracted.
- Remembers the last location of extracted archives.
- Compresses files.
- Improves Bookshelf
- Improves playback of NLS books, so they are more responsive at faster playback speeds.
- Changes the increments of speed adjustments to 10% in audio playback. Previously, the commands adjusted playback rate by 20%, so there are twice as many settings.
- Improves brf file support.
- Adds support for dropping audible files into the import folder.
- Supports dropping Daisy 2.x books in the import folder.
- Corrects author name listings in books with multiple authors and authors with names incorrectly written.
- Corrects a problem clearing bookmarks.
- Improves Internet Book Search:
- Improves News Stand
- Shows revision number in periodical title.
- Shows the Number of New Issues for each periodical.
- Remembers the user's place in a periodical.
- Shows the day of the week in the title.
- Changes the behavior when the user cancels reading. Previously, News Stand opened the navigation tree at the top of the list. Now, it opens the tree at the current location.
- Corrects a bug that prevented proper deletion of old issues.
- Improves Twitter
- Adds a new tag for template use to show the source of the message.
- Identfifies Icon or Braille+ as the source of new messages.
- Adds an option to let the user review the information from a tweet.
- Corrects bugs.
- Corrects a problem that caused some headings in the Help contents to appear incorrectly.
Version 2.0.21, March 2009
- Improves the Wireless Connection Manager.
- Fixes all known bookshare.org issues.
- Retains one's place in a list of books or authors when the user deletes a book or author from Bookshelf.
- Corrects an issue that made it difficult to navigate backward by page when in continuous reading mode.
- Modifies the behavior of the "Change Level" command so that it announces the current level upon the initial press.
- Restarts the book from the beginning if the user is at the end of the book and she presses the Read command.
- Corrects a problem that caused links in the help document to absorb spaces around the link.
- Adds the number of new issues for each periodical downloaded in Newstand.
Version 2.0.6, February 2009
- Adds support for refreshable braille displays.
- Setup wizard to guide user through simple connection to display.
- USB, Bluetooth, and serial via USB interface.
- Supports displays from a number of manufacturers.
- Both keyboard and display integration.
- Contracts system and all documents, including email and web pages, to braille.
- Key Learn tells the user the function of the input keys on the display.
- Cursor routing moves the cursor to the display's position.
- Expands word at cursor for editing.
- Hot key turns on or off speech.
- Adds Braille Display Settings to the Utilities menu.
- Adds control to disable all system sounds and speech while braille is in use.
- Indicates attributed text with dot 8 and enhances Word Processor to tell specific attributes with a press of the Status key.
- Improves the braille translation system.
- Flashes the display to indicate system sounds.
- Adds Internet Radio Tuner to the Music Player.
- Presents list of genres.
- Each genre shows list of stations in that genre.
- Creates a Recent Stations list.
- Lets the user add a station to one of 50 presets.
- Move from station to station in any list while playing.
- Adds unzip support for email attachments, File Explorer, and Web Browser.
- Adds support for the Twitter micro blogging environment.
- Updates bookshare.org support to work with the new bookshare format.
- Adds search by days added to the Internet Book Search.
- Displays author's name in search results.
- Improves background processing, so it is easy to continue browsing while files transfer.
- Updates the synchronization utility.
- Includes time zone appointments in Outlook 2007.
- Adds additional fields to synchronize.
- Respects the four states of the busy indicator for appointments.
- Adds the Importance attribute to synchronized appointments.
- Updates the address book.
- New user interface.
- Adds additional fields found in Outlook.
- Adds tabs to catagorize types of information.
- Improves managing multiple email addresses for a contact.
- Replaces Planner with a new Calendar application.
- Adds fields from contacts in Outlook.
- Adds templates to customize layout for braille or speech.
- Adds a conflict resolution function to handle conflicting appointments.
- Adds many functions to Calculator.
- Adds variables and a variable viewer.
- Adds user Functions.
- Adds a Function list.
- Adds a function editor that lets the user create their own functions.
- Adds Advanced mode where the user may edit input.
- Adds a history buffer in Advanced mode.
- Automatically saves variables and functions.
- Adds startup and shutdown functions that get called when the program starts or ends.
- Improves error messages.
- Adds interactive speech rate adjustment while using continuous reading mode.
- Improves Bookshelf.
- Improves editing author information.
- Supports dropping bookshare .bks or .zip files into the Bookshelf's import folder so it automatically unpacks and stors the contained books ready for use when you start Bookshelf.
- Improves RSS
- Adds a template editor and templates that let you customize many aspects of how information is presented in various areas throughout the system.
- Adds Minor Enhancements and Corrects several bugs
- Announces the fact that the key lock switch is on when rebooting.
- Corrects several Key Learn descriptions.
- Adds multi-key braille letter descriptions to Key Learn.
- Adds "Move to Bottom of Document" command in Web Browser (hold Down Arrow).
- Lets you toggle on and off the Bluetooth radio by pressing Select on the Bluetooth item in the Status menu.
- Lets you add a song to a playlist, even if that song is not in the music library.
- Corrects the problem where email message counts did not get updated when returning to the folder list.
- Adds the automatic backup file into the list of restorable backups when updating the firmware.
Version 1.11, June 2008
- Adds the Workspace option to the main menu to help work with frequently used or new content.
- Adds support for books from audible.com.
- Adds support for connection to the docking station.
- Changes the way the Delete command announces. Now, it announces the next character rather than the one you just deleted.
- Corrects the delay that occurred when using the email Send and Receive command while network folders were shared and connected.
- Resumes playback of podcasts from their last position.
- Adds a menu of punctuation symbols from which to choose while using the ABC keypad.
- Corrects a problem updating the book catelog when there were over 1000 books in the library.
- Preserves the installation status of third party programs that you install when you update the unit's software.
- Adds the Send Now option to newly composed email messages.
- Adds the announcement of the number of messages in each folder as you traverse Email's folder list.
- Adds the BCC field to email headers.
- Adds the Reply to All option to the email program.
- Adds the View Headers command for email.
- Corrects the email Forward command so that it lets you select from contacts.
- Changes the key from Pound to Ctrl+Select or Ctrl+Space to mark one of multiple choices in lists where multiple selection is supported.
- Adds the Caps Lock key to Thumb Braille.
- Improves Bookshelf responsiveness in navigation.
- Corrects bookshelf issues with not being able to open some books.
- Corrects end of book handling in the Bookshelf.
- Corrects bugs in calculator
- Makes the download manager available at all times in RSS.
- Download manager shows the title of the program (not the filename) for downloaded podcasts.
- You may now press Select in Download Manager to open a file.
Version 1.10, March 2008
- Adds support for downloadable audio books from National Library Service.
- Adds support for playing protected content from Serotek.
- Introduces a new registration system to help associate your device with you and to help qualify for playing audio content that may be protected from sources like NLS and audible.com.
- Uses a new install method that makes updates more reliable and enables the delivery of keys to unlock protected content.
- Backs up and restores your data during the software update process.
- Updates the hard disk recovery partition with the latest software.
- Adds a menu of possibilities when you insert an SD card or external drive.
- Adds support for following links in html documents, RSS articles, email, and other places where links exist.
- Adds a software manager to help manage third-party software packages you may install.
- Adds a Reading keypad to make navigation easier in documents you cannot edit.
- Adds the Back Paragraph and Next Paragraph commands using Left Arrow and Right Arrow while in continuous reading mode for any document where the user may read continuously.
- Adds audio speed controls to Music Player and Bookshelf.
- Changes the command to access a book's contents from Pound to Hold Program Menu.
- Adds a Serial Number item to the status menu.
- Adds Bluetooth status to status menu.
- Adds percentage moves through files in the document reader.
- Adds an option menu to the Open File form to let the user delete files, check sizes, sort, and perform other file management tasks.
- Adds Live Support Mode to provide advanced trouble-shooting capabilities.
- Adds a tactile indicator when the audio volume is at the default level.
- Changes the interface to act more like other applications. You access the folder list with right and left arrow just as in the email program.
- Adds the ability to select one or more contacts.
- Adds move and delete for selected contacts.
- Adds Files to the ways to view your music collection.
- Lets you play an entire folder of music.
- Lets you add a folder to a playlist.
- Copies files from other parts of the hard disk or the network into the music library.
- Adds the Repeat function.
- Adds the ability to add the currently playing song to a playlist.
- Adds the ability to delete an album.
- Adds the artist name to the album and song listings
- Changes the main interface to help provide the most useful information.
- Adds a template to provide the information you want to know about your audio when you request status or when moving to the next track.
- Adds support for the flac audio format.
- Corrects several small bugs.
- Changes the command to delete a message while the message is open. This command was Star on the telephone keypad, but that command now moves to the previous link in a message. Now, to delete a message while it is open, use Star+Right Arrow.
- Adds the Sort option to let the user control how files and folders are listed.
- Adds the Share this Folder option to easily turn on and off folders that you may wish to share over the network.
- Adds the Browse Network Folders option to include resources from other devices to File Explorer's visibility.
- Fixes the problems with uploading journal entries to livejournal.com.
- Corrects a problem that could make the unit turn back on after turning it off.
- Corrects a problem that could cause a lock up if attempting to turn on some units with the keyboard locked.
- Adds ~ and ` to the key map table so they may be produced at the console.
- Corrects a bug that caused the find command to fail on some large braille documents.
- Changes the Open Document form so it shows only files the word processor can actually read.
- Adds Alt+Up Arrow and Alt+Down Arrow commands to external keyboards to turn up and down the volume.
- Adds Hold Escape to external keyboard commands to power off the unit.
Version 1.06.21, October 2007
- Adds virtual memory capabilities that let you open as many applications at a time as you wish.
- Adds universal speed controls (accessed with Pound+Volume Up and Pound+Volume Down).
- Adds punctuation control and customized punctuation settings.
- Corrects errors in Voice Recorder.
- Corrects file name entries in play lists for Music Player.
- Restructures and combines the functionality of Wireless Control Panel and Network Manager into one program called Network Manager.
- Adds WPA and WPA 2 security to the wireless types in Network Manager.
- Corrects the USB networking problems.
- Corrects issues with connecting to wireless networks that do not broadcast their SSID.
- Fixes a problem that prevented copy and paste from working between different applications.
- Corrects the Task Manager so the list is always current.
- Changes the feed selection list to a multi-selection list when adding new feeds in the RSS Reader.
- Adds the ability to automatically download podcasts after a feed update in RSS Reader.
- Improves the way RSS Reader deletes and manages feeds. You may use Star to delete the current feed.
- Improves RSS Reader's status messages. You may now get the status at any level including folders.
- Adds a new method for selecting multiple items in a list. Now, Ctrl+Select toggles a selection.
- Adds Numeric mode to the keypad toggle for use as a review keypad in console mode.
- Improves hardware detection when inserting and removing keyboards, USB drives, power, and more.
- Adds several standard keyboard commands.
- Corrects a problem that prevented the bookshelf from remembering your place in text or brf files you put into the library/books folder.
- Corrects word navigation in edit controls.
- Adds the Current Word command to standard edit controls.
- Adds the Spell Word command to standard edit controls. (Press Current Word twice.)
- Adds the Announce Drive Space command.
- Changes the announcement of file size to say the size first when pressing Status in File Explorer.
- Changes internal handling of files to UTF8.
- Adds the Recent Files menu option to the word processor.
- Corrects the problem of some books from Bookshare.org skipping text.
- Corrects bugs in the find and replace form.
- Adds the ability to send a contact an email from the address book.
- Adds "Add This Sender to Address Book" option to Email.
- Changes address book contact listings to show last name first.
- Adds the Time Zone field to appointments in the planner.
- Adds the ability to select an email address when composing new messages in email.
- Updates the synchronization utility to add time zone information.
- Adds index number announcements to indicate the current and total number of items in a list.
- Preserves words the user added to the spell check dictionary during backup and restore.
- Preserves recording settings during a backup and restore.
- Changes behavior of the modifier keys when using Thumb Braille.
- Improves the speed of detecting system hardware changes.
- Adds the numeric value to the announcement on volume and speed changes.
- Uses a new application startup sound that is less harsh.
- Adds a "reboot" command accessed with Pound+Star+Program 1.
- Changes from two vibrations to one vibration upon system shutdown.
Version 1.0.5, May 2007
- Adds the ability to include pre and post update fixes.
Version 1.0.4, May 2007
- Improves the updating system.
Version 1.0.3 May 2007
- Corrects problems with the spell checker on translated documents.
- Corrects exporting braille files to Word and RTF.
- Corrects problems with planner and journal.
- Corrects a focus issue when deleting the last message in a folder in email.
- Adds Ctrl+0 as Clear on the calculater.
- Adds the Read Current Line command to the calculater.
- Improves handling some bad XML feeds in the RSS Reader.
- Adds the ability to press Delete to delete a selection in a edit field.
- Tweeks the key bounce time to help improve keyboard responsiveness.
- Adds html support to email messages.
- Adds ThumBraille to the telephone keypad.
- Corrects some various fields that should have required computer braille.
- Corrects a problem with the CC to field in email messages.
- Updates the documentation.
- Corrects various translation errors.
- Changes the default location for recordings from the flash disk to the hard disk to help prevent filling up the flash disk.
- Adds the ";" character to let you put multiple email addresses on a line in the email program.
- Modifies the Sync program to run when Outlook is not installed.
- Adds support for Vista and Outlook 2007 for the Sync program.
- Corrects a problem that causes the braille keyboard to lock up.
Notice: Accessibility of APH Websites